Register

News:

NJBFRC Reports now available in RSS. Get the latest reports delivered to you reader as soon as they are posted! See the post on this forum for more info.

Th3Archit3ch

August 22, 2010, 08:49:04 PM
Jr. Member Posts: 53
I have been conducting ongoing research for the past couple months on Sparta mountain..
the timing hasn't been better, the road is closed on the one side, and not alot of people have
been up there for about that long, back in (april?) a storm washed out the 'bridge' really an under road pipe
to let the water go from the pond side to the lake side freely...

So if anyone is interested in going up, (the area is big, so have yet to explore all of it)
but been through a decent amount and do now know my way around there pretty well..

I have one trail cam, set up, up there, for the past couple months, not much to see yet..
just hikers, mountain bikers, deer, and still frames with nothing in them..

I will keep a running list of dates I will be going up there, anyone interested is more than welcome to
come with me.

So far I've found very small stick structures that could be natural or not..
and a correlation between some vegetation and other BF reports that have the same
vegetation in sighting areas..

and once about a month ago, heard tree knocks, 3 in rapid succession..at dusk..

*((I have other areas that I search in besides Sparta mountain))
if anyone is interested in exploring those as well. (in Hopatcong and Andover)
first mini expedition date:

1. wednesday 8-25-10 (anytime) I usually go out at around 2 or 3pm but can go whenever..

2. tba: probably sunday 8-29-10 but has to be a little later in the day.. (after 12:00pm)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 08:51:08 PM by Th3Archit3ch »

Sounds like you have been busy this summer! I have not spent much time up on Sparta Mt but have explored it a little. I know several guys who have hunted it for many many years and know it like the back of their hands. I am pretty sure I know what Hopatcong chuck of land you are talking about. If it is the one I am thinking of I have spent much more time there over the years. If you want an interesting outing that might spook you some try going out at night. I have done that with my girlfriend a number of times. Not looking for anything particular when doing so but just trying a new and exciting twist to hiking. We actually may do one the end of this week with another couple. Not sure where yet but someplace remote (by NJ standards) is likely. Of course I would not suggest doing it alone. It definitely heightens your other senses. We usually start a hike about 1-2 hours prior to sunset (not sure I have the nerve to walk off into the woods after it is already dark) then by sunset we find ourselves about as far out as is possible with a nice 2-3 hour walk in the dark whether we like it or not. lol Have done this both during full moons, which really is beautiful and if it is clear a flashlight is rarely needed and also during new moons which gives you a feel for just how dark it can get in the woods especially when you dip down off the ridges. Flashlights are a bit more important in the later though we do try to go as long as we can with out. 

Ty for the quick reply

So yeah was doing that type of thing, purposely or accidently.. well it was just because it was late fall..
so got dark early.. so yeah we did have flashlight(s) big spotlight with us.. weren't scared.. as we didn't see any signs of wildlife when we went in.. but sometimes it gets spooky, like the one time we went to the
paulinskill viaduct at night.. now that got a bit spooky.. but we went with a bunch of people, I think I remember there was 6 of us. climbing up on that thing in the dark. ye ha..
I'm all for night hiking, I even figured a way to use a digital cam with an infared spotlight, so you can see
everything that the 'invisible light' is lighting up through the camera.. cool huh?

yeah the one place in Hopatcong, was 'Camp Trail' and old old bfro sighting spot.. which I found mountain laurel shrub trees there, and found a place very close the geocache/Sparta mountain sighting 5 years ago..
where they are in abundance..
was kinda of mind boggling when I first saw it in November, with all it's leaves on it.. and stayed on it all winter.. only about a week ago I finally found out what kind of tree it really was..
If you look up Bob Chance/bigfoot/ mountain laurel he does state that that plant is where they are..
I also found that in that section up there around the perimeter of these mountain laurels are small mini stick structures as if to prevent people from going into that section..

I have a trail cam set up (not hidden/ out in the open really) at a fork in the hiking path..
haven't checked it in about 2 weeks now, we were on the other side, geocaching made it to the Sparta mountain plane crash/geocache site then it was getting late so we went back/left..

I still really Really want to get into the Hudson Guild Farm/highlands trail section..
the 2 times I got a 'response' was once at Camp Trail a howl response..
and once at Sparta mountain
both times I used a small walmart boat horn, Sparta mountain response was 3 tree knocks in rapid succession..

So I'll be going up to Sparta mountain on wednesday
and might go back to the Andover abandon train tunnel,
a strange place.. with strange goings on..there..
friend got rocks thrown past him into the lake while he was trying to get to it
at night.. again late fall...so got dark early..
was hiking/geocaching up there on a 100* degree day.. and saw an overabundance of food sources..
blueberries blackberries raspberries galore.. more than you would ever need to feed an army..
I really gotta get back there too...
it was nice talking to you.
if you ever want to compare notes,
I always watch alot of the bigfoot researchers youtubes
I've learned alot from them, Alot.
I first started just reading the bfro
but man, when you watch people that are 'in it'
it's a world apart.
peace,
-Mike

Good luck tomorrow! We'll be out for a night hike Friday. Just out to enjoy nature at a time most people don't but most critters do! I've only seen a porcipine twice in the wild. Both were on night hikes! Have not decided where but maybe in Waywayanda. I'm not a 100% believer in bigfoot but I lean strongly towards their existence. As for could they be in NJ? I'm less confident in that idea but do not rule out the possibility a small number may wander thru parts of NW NJ at times. Obviously there are reports to support this. I spend a fair amount of time outdoors hiking & doing photography etc. Very rare I go out with the sole purpose to look for bigfoot evidence but I'm always observant of my surroundings for anything out of the ordinary or rare. That includes bears (not so rare lol) & mt lions (I'm sure there are a few out there). The one thing I'd suggest is that you try to be more passive in your search. If bigfoot is a real being I stronly believe they're of a much higher intelligence then any other forest dwellers. They would most surely have to be smart and savey to remain so hidden for so long. I am quite certain if they exist they will 99% of the time know you are there well before you know they are there if you ever know. I have read this general idea a number of times before: bigfoot finds you you don't find bigfoot. Sort of why I laught at researchers running around in camo. What do they think they are tracking? racoons? I suspect large spot lights, air horns etc will only cause them to remain more distant & less trusting. Getting any wild animal to come knowingly close to us its about building trust and showing you are not a threat. Do so takes time and patience. Good luck & keep us posted on anything interesting findings. Remember bow season begins mid September so be careful.

pinned down locations now at both places, sparta mountain and bear pond,
just saw this pop up report #126

Is This Evidence of Migration??

I would Love Love Love to know which direction the 'creature' was heading?
South??

What about these areas have you nailed down? I have been keeping busy as of late with work and projects around the house so have not been watching the BF world closely as of late. As for if that SNJ report is a sign of migration I would say it shows 0% evidence of either a pattern of migration or not. There is way to little known about this not 100% proven species to say whether a migration habit exists with them. I suspect some sort of migration is possible but again way to little is know about this unknown to say with any credibility. It's just about a year ago now that the stick structure near my home appeared. Nothing new or changed with regards to it since. The report from August is very interesting but with no follow-up it is hard to give it much credibility at this time. Obviously there is a local cluster of sightings over the years in that general area but hard to draw any concrete conclusions from it. Regardless it does provided enought intrigue to look deeper into what may be going on in these areas! Keep up the work and keep us posted!

more pinpointing towards, or better word narrowing down a location at both spots, I spent almost 8 months up on Sparta mountain, trail cams and all, and nothing, but then realized the last time I was up there I was on the wrong side, constant tell tale wood knocks coming from the other side, at first didn't realize it, thought it was woodpeckers, but most of the time, the wood knocks always start at the same time of day,
about 6 or 7 pm now it's either an alert call because I'm there.. or it's a 'dinner bell' or an 'alarm clock' (nocturnal 'animal')
over at Bear Pond drawing correlations with vegetation, same exact vegetation up on Sparta mountain, toxic plant, but found out that during the winter that deer does eat it, 'mountain laurels' others (researchers) have had similar stories with

Hey Arch now would be a great time to get up into that area fresh snow maybe a track find waiting to happen? I have been in Greenwood Forest all Hunting season with no luck! Keep up the great work! thanks for the posts

more pinpointing towards, or better word narrowing down a location at both spots, I spent almost 8 months up on Sparta mountain, trail cams and all, and nothing, but then realized the last time I was up there I was on the wrong side, constant tell tale wood knocks coming from the other side, at first didn't realize it, thought it was woodpeckers, but most of the time, the wood knocks always start at the same time of day,
about 6 or 7 pm now it's either an alert call because I'm there.. or it's a 'dinner bell' or an 'alarm clock' (nocturnal 'animal')
over at Bear Pond drawing correlations with vegetation, same exact vegetation up on Sparta mountain, toxic plant, but found out that during the winter that deer does eat it, 'mountain laurels' others (researchers) have had similar stories with

It sounds as though you are convinced that the knocking sounds are being produced by a sasquatch. Not sure what you are trying to say regarding the vegetation, what is it about the mountain laurel that interests you?

It sounds as though you are convinced that the knocking sounds are being produced by a sasquatch. Not sure what you are trying to say regarding the vegetation, what is it about the mountain laurel that interests you?
[/quote]
Hello Megapod
wow haven't been back here in a while..
note to Admin congrats on the new domain, but something got lost in translation cause every time I try to see details of any of the sightings comes up error
so yeah I've been up there concentrating on Sparta mountain maybe now for almost over a year or more now, geez has it been that long..
I was actually up there this past sunday, just wanted to go up and.. hmm.. 'listen' really I wanted to see what animals might be stirring around with the slightly better weather we had.. just some birds and one squirell
and was up there I think right after the snowstorm in dec 2010 went all over and did what researchers say to do, just sit and wait, at a known sighting area.. out by the marsh, where a geocacher had a sighting. I was sitting out there a good 45 mins didn't want to stay out too long cause it was getting late and was impending rain..
as for the woods knocks I really just wanna rule it out once and for all, that it's not something besides a woodpecker, but when I first heard it, my friend and I were coming back from the hike, I had just picked up air horn for just in case emergencies of course my friend decides to press the button, right after he did I hear wood knocks in rapid succession, from the other side of the mountain, this was during the summer and another time we were up there, geocaching in a good ways, and then about the same time like clockwork,

wood knocks we did nothing this time to spur them maybe talking loud but we were down in a ravine but still heard them sounded like they were coming from the same general direction as the last one's don't know if a woodpeckers knock would travel about maybe half a mile? maybe odd thing is, a couple days ago at my house there was a woodpecker in my tree in my front yard and I've heard woodpeckers before.. and know generally their rythym.. the tree knocks sounded more musical.. ahh who knows just something worth checking out, cause they're coming from the side that isn't heavily traveled, by hikers.
as for the mountain laurel I was going off the theory that the sas does not hibernate and would be needing food all year round,
ahh but the sighting in sparta mountain as far as I know was on dec 5th 2005...

so the mountain laurel is actually a evergreen that stays green all winter, and there is alot of them up there, huge patches all throughout, realitively close to the sighting area.. and mini tee-pee stick structures around the perimeter could be coincidences... but...
in looking up (at first I didn't know what they were, so it took a bunch a research to even find what plant it was)
Bob Chance. book "interview with a bigfoot hunter" excerpt;
http://books.google.com/books?id=L0iv57e2mXEC&pg=PA82&lpg=PA82&dq=bigfoot+mountain+laurel&source=bl&ots=vjT4JsoN0-&sig=QR4FeF7zS-CO8rJcaLv6fL-L-6I&hl=en&ei=etRQTberDs3SgQfdmNi6CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=bigfoot%20mountain%20laurel&f=false
but man after having found just about nothing I'm always just on the verge of giving up on the area..
but all the ingredients are there for habitat,
well nevertheless been learning a lot and maybe, maybe fine tuning research to narrow down a more specific area.

so I was up there today, 9-30-12, just after the light rain, thought I could pick up any tracks off any wet ground, went through the gully path, more over where the dirt bikes ride, was hoping to see some kinda track in the dirt bike tracks off the mud, or the sand that's there, only saw one single solitary deer print, coming back around the loop trail, (did this on purpose, to push out whatever might be in the area) near the marsh all of a sudden I got movement coming from all directions in the front right side of me, I see about 6 deer darting in all different directions in pairs, I did realize something while I was up there though looking at the boyscout map, the highlands trail goes right by Ryker lake, so I went there next but it was getting late, I did see alot of similarities to Ryker Lake and Bear pond in Hopatcong, where the highlands trail is also in that area as well.