Register

News:

NJBFRC Reports now available in RSS. Get the latest reports delivered to you reader as soon as they are posted! See the post on this forum for more info.

Sparta Mountain

8586 7 normal post

nj_archer

June 17, 2007, 10:54:38 PM
Newbie Posts: 8
Any sightings that are credible in the sparta mountain area ever? I was just looking at the fish and game topo maps of this area. I am an avid bow hunter and in the porcess studying some maps for possible scouting trips with the intent of hanging some tree stands in some remote areas. There are some very steep peeks in this area alot of marsh and plenty of water and vegetation and wildlife and not many people at all. There is a development on Edison road heading in from the south and then litterally nothing but forest for miles. I have included the link i use from fish game and wildlife it is a pretty good source for topo maps which i use alot. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/wmaland.htm i was lookgin specifically at the Sparta Mountain North map there is one peak just south of Beaver Lake 1328 feet in height surrounded by 1200 foot peaks then to the south through the marsh there is another peak that is 1382 feet and just west of that and south of Rock Lodge pond another peak that is 1410 feet. The reason I ask is that there are litterally dozens of sightings in and around tha area of High Point State Park at it's highest peak High Point is the highest elevation in the state at 1,803 on an area of roughly 14,000 acres compared to the Sparta Mountains 3,223.72 acres within the WMA boundary plus everything that falls immediately outside those boundaries in the outlying areas. Just wondering if there had ever been any discussion of a possible expedition to this area as the habitat and remoteness seems as though it would be ideal.

Re: Sparta Mountain

NJBigfoot Reply 1 June 18, 2007, 11:05:34 AM

Check report #74...

http://strange.myeyez.net/bigfootnj/show_report.php?74

Though this may be a tall tale.

As a result of this "sighting" a friend and I did a geocache trip to the area, we ventured around near Edison mines and beyond. Nothing of interest. There was a blanket of soft snow on the ground, but we noticed no interesting prints aside from deer, canine (coyote?), and rabbit.

I do recall another sighting off of Holland Mountain Road, which connects Rt. 23 and Ridge Road in the Milton area. Head west from Holland Mtn Road and you cross over Edison Road which of course leads to the mines are and the wilderness spot you were talking about.  Check out this NJBFRC forum post for more info on the hike, and a google map of the area I am talking about. I grew up in the Stockholm area, used to roam the woods a lot during my childhood. Very wooded area.

http://strange.myeyez.net/bigfootnj/forum/index.php?topic=11.msg59#msg59

Drew

saquavic Reply 2 July 10, 2007, 10:57:13 PM

hi i would be intrested .

NJBigfoot Reply 3 October 31, 2007, 04:18:01 PM

IMHO I don't think that expeditions are very practical, of course that depends on how many people are involved. Two or three, no problem. But the more people involved with an expedition the more noise will be made, and the less likely the group would be in actually spotting anything. I don't care about tracks or hairs or any evidence like that. I'd prefer to capture some real video and photographic evidence of these things, if they are real. Too many blobsquatches, blurry, short, low res videos. Too much possibility for hoax. If I see one of these things I want to have a high resolution digital camera ready, with at least 640x480 video capability as well. We need visual evidence. Something more substantial than broken branches, possible footprints and stuff.

Th3Archit3ch Reply 4 July 01, 2009, 08:13:08 PM

I went up there today, just drove through, Sparta mountain just to survey the area, didn't do any field research or anything, just to see as an overview looking to go back though, don't know what day, I had no idea that area was even there I've live in Sparta for almost 10 years now, and before that Vernon for one year, and before that Wantage for over 10 years, at the top of the mountain there is the Sparta wildlife management area, it is pretty sparselly populated to say the least. other notes on the area, huge power lines going through and Ogdensburgh lake on the way up, swamp at the top of the mountain, alot of no tresspass signs saying no dumping or tresspassing with pseg logo's I can see how something can go undeteced up there, with the protection of no tresspass signs all over. but sparta wildlife management has hiking trails so I might go back and focus on that area.
some youtube channels to check out;
tcsjrbigfoot
fasanotampa
thefirstbillyjack
I'm not really new to this site, just I've been lurking without signing up till today

so Hi
My name is Mike from Sparta

megapod Reply 5 July 02, 2009, 08:25:52 AM

Welcome Th3. I checked out those youtube references. tcsjrbigfoot appears to give serious consideration to some theories that I consider to be "over the top". I do give him credit for his dedication. Look foward to hearing about anything interesting you may find up there in north jersey.

Rrocco Reply 6 July 03, 2009, 05:45:29 PM

Hello Mike, glad you signed up. I'm looking forward to hearing about your hiking treks into the Sparta mtn's.
I view the tcsjrbigfoot, fasanotampa & thefirstbillyjack channels all the time. Great guys and very dedicated. Hopefully all the time and effort they put into there research pays off.

Th3Archit3ch Reply 7 September 03, 2009, 09:16:17 PM

I've started a channel on youtube so you'll get to see my treks..
'Ibfrdb'