News:

Forum has been successfully updated.

Monster Quest - Sasquatch Attack

10779 3 normal post
Administrator

NJBigfoot

November 26, 2007, 02:57:43 PM
Jr. Member Posts: 97
I watched "Sasquaqtch Attack," an episode of MonsterQuest that takes a look at alleged activity in and around a rental fishing cabin located on Snelgrove Lake, in Ontario, Canada. Snelgrove is a remote lake with a single fly-in fishing cabin owned by Chuck Mosbeck. He and his wife Cathy operate True North Outposts and Cabins, a drive-in and fly-in fishing outfit. Chuck is the pilot shown on the episode who brings Bigfoot researchers Jeff Meldrum and Curt Nelson to the remote cabin location for their investigation.

The narrator of the show mistakenly refers to Chuck as Scott Mosbeck early on.

I noticed a couple of problems with the investigation as it was conducted. I'm not knocking the efforts of Meldrum and Nelson, mind you, they went to check things out, found what they found and encountered what they encountered. I wasn't there so I won't make off-hand comments to debunk things, but I did notice a few things that made me wonder...

First, in my opinion the destruction of the cabin interior appears staged. Things were "knocked down," strewn around, cabinets left open, and even the fire extinguisher was nicely askew on the wall, but nothing appeared broken. Nothing was destroyed. If a wild animal, like a purported Sasquatch, went through the interior, wouldn't the fridge be tipped? Wouldn't the wooden shelf/peg-rack be cracked and splintered instead of left nicely in one piece across the table?

Contrary to what the interviewed black bear expert says, none of the "heavy" things were tipped over or knocked to the floor. Unless the cabin owners set them upright again before recording their video for insurance purposes. And who would do that? The Fridge, stove, and large wood-burning stove (I think that's what is is) were upright, all intact. Also, nothing appeared broken up. The items seemed strewn about, and some things even appeared placed. At first glance it appears that someone wanted to create the look of destruction without actually destroying anything.

What about the cabin door, was it broken from the hinges? Did the Sasquatch, or bear, just turn the knob? Something to ponder.

Another thing that bothers me is the screw board used to deter potential intruders. If Chuck Mosbeck discovered the board with a puddle of dried blood on it why on earth would he leave it outside? When we are first told of the board Mosbeck mentions discovering it after being away from the cabin for three days.

A few minutes later, after arriving at the cabin and checking out the board, Meldrum mentions that the board had been sitting out for "the past two years." If you have blood on a board, and you suspect it may be the blood of someone, or something, that had trashed the inside of your cabin, why would you leave it out in the weather for two years? Makes no sense. You have a story of a bloody mess on the board but now it is gone. Seems too convenient.

They flip the board over the examine the back, in case any blood may have passed through the screw holes to the other side. Nelson comments, "Well, there is a stain there. Looks like this is where it was." Of course the stain on the back of the board in no way corresponds the shape they trace out on the front of the board later on. The stain he indicates looks more like something that had been slopped on, or dripped on the board by mistake (maybe some oil or something) which later ran down the board as it sat, leaning against a wall.

Enough of that, back to the front... Then they go on to collect unknown bits of material from the screws for analysis and of course find nothing conclusive in the end. Sounds just like every other Sasquatch investigation that happens to be documented for TV.

They haven't even identified what the material is on the screws (could be gypsum from drywall), and then they go ahead and mark a footprint outline, just a heel and part of the ball area of the "foot" which doesn't even correspond to the animated "reenactment" shown later of a creature stepping onto the board.

It is pure conjecture, complete speculation, and all inconclusive. But hey, it makes for good entertainment right? I guess.

I must say that the show was well produced, nicely filmed and edited. I did enjoy it, especially some of the witness accounts and the historic anecdotes. The "footprint" found by tracker, Kiefer Erwin, didn't even look like a footprint in my opinion. She said it was found in "wet sand" so why didn't it leave a better, more defined impression? The white line drawn to indicate the alleged print doesn't correspond to any noticeable shape in the sand. Also, she said the found multiple tracks of this thing and measured strides. Was this the best track they found? They didn't have shots of all of them? Was that video shown just a reenactment of her initial discovery, with a faked track? Wouldn't rule that out.

Hey, we can't believe everything they tell us on shows like this. It is a television production. Maybe True North Outposts and Cabins will benefit from the publicity. Maybe Meldrum will sell some books. I'm sure of one thing, The History Channel will sell some DVDs and profit from iTunes downloads like mine. There is an audience for this stuff.

Has anyone else seen this particular episode? What are your thoughts?

Drew
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 03:02:14 PM by DV »

Re: Monster Quest - Sasquatch Attack

nj_archer Reply 1 November 27, 2007, 03:29:06 PM

honestly I loved this show  I watched it twice during the marathon purely for the entertainment value. It seems to me that Meldrum and co have done several similar shows in the past.  I especially enjoy the one anthropology professor with the bugged out eyes and the crooked mohawk who never gets any DNA ever.  I thought the hair and purified tissue sample info was very compelling stuff it at leasts shows some progress. I believe Meldrum is convinced he is on the right track (no punn) and indeed passionate about his quest but i question his motives. Either way I think it would be way more fun if we as New Jersians were the ones to crack this thing wide open...Love the show though very entertaining.

Mike Aragona Reply 2 December 06, 2007, 06:08:50 PM

I watched "Sasquaqtch Attack," an episode of MonsterQuest that takes a look at alleged activity in and around a rental fishing cabin located on Snelgrove Lake, in Ontario, Canada. Snelgrove is a remote lake with a single fly-in fishing cabin owned by Chuck Mosbeck. He and his wife Cathy operate True North Outposts and Cabins, a drive-in and fly-in fishing outfit. Chuck is the pilot shown on the episode who brings Bigfoot researchers Jeff Meldrum and Curt Nelson to the remote cabin location for their investigation.

The narrator of the show mistakenly refers to Chuck as Scott Mosbeck early on.

I noticed a couple of problems with the investigation as it was conducted. I'm not knocking the efforts of Meldrum and Nelson, mind you, they went to check things out, found what they found and encountered what they encountered. I wasn't there so I won't make off-hand comments to debunk things, but I did notice a few things that made me wonder...

First, in my opinion the destruction of the cabin interior appears staged. Things were "knocked down," strewn around, cabinets left open, and even the fire extinguisher was nicely askew on the wall, but nothing appeared broken. Nothing was destroyed. If a wild animal, like a purported Sasquatch, went through the interior, wouldn't the fridge be tipped? Wouldn't the wooden shelf/peg-rack be cracked and splintered instead of left nicely in one piece across the table?

Contrary to what the interviewed black bear expert says, none of the "heavy" things were tipped over or knocked to the floor. Unless the cabin owners set them upright again before recording their video for insurance purposes. And who would do that? The Fridge, stove, and large wood-burning stove (I think that's what is is) were upright, all intact. Also, nothing appeared broken up. The items seemed strewn about, and some things even appeared placed. At first glance it appears that someone wanted to create the look of destruction without actually destroying anything.

What about the cabin door, was it broken from the hinges? Did the Sasquatch, or bear, just turn the knob? Something to ponder.

Another thing that bothers me is the screw board used to deter potential intruders. If Chuck Mosbeck discovered the board with a puddle of dried blood on it why on earth would he leave it outside? When we are first told of the board Mosbeck mentions discovering it after being away from the cabin for three days.

A few minutes later, after arriving at the cabin and checking out the board, Meldrum mentions that the board had been sitting out for "the past two years." If you have blood on a board, and you suspect it may be the blood of someone, or something, that had trashed the inside of your cabin, why would you leave it out in the weather for two years? Makes no sense. You have a story of a bloody mess on the board but now it is gone. Seems too convenient.

They flip the board over the examine the back, in case any blood may have passed through the screw holes to the other side. Nelson comments, "Well, there is a stain there. Looks like this is where it was." Of course the stain on the back of the board in no way corresponds the shape they trace out on the front of the board later on. The stain he indicates looks more like something that had been slopped on, or dripped on the board by mistake (maybe some oil or something) which later ran down the board as it sat, leaning against a wall.

Enough of that, back to the front... Then they go on to collect unknown bits of material from the screws for analysis and of course find nothing conclusive in the end. Sounds just like every other Sasquatch investigation that happens to be documented for TV.

They haven't even identified what the material is on the screws (could be gypsum from drywall), and then they go ahead and mark a footprint outline, just a heel and part of the ball area of the "foot" which doesn't even correspond to the animated "reenactment" shown later of a creature stepping onto the board.

It is pure conjecture, complete speculation, and all inconclusive. But hey, it makes for good entertainment right? I guess.

I must say that the show was well produced, nicely filmed and edited. I did enjoy it, especially some of the witness accounts and the historic anecdotes. The "footprint" found by tracker, Kiefer Erwin, didn't even look like a footprint in my opinion. She said it was found in "wet sand" so why didn't it leave a better, more defined impression? The white line drawn to indicate the alleged print doesn't correspond to any noticeable shape in the sand. Also, she said the found multiple tracks of this thing and measured strides. Was this the best track they found? They didn't have shots of all of them? Was that video shown just a reenactment of her initial discovery, with a faked track? Wouldn't rule that out.

Hey, we can't believe everything they tell us on shows like this. It is a television production. Maybe True North Outposts and Cabins will benefit from the publicity. Maybe Meldrum will sell some books. I'm sure of one thing, The History Channel will sell some DVDs and profit from iTunes downloads like mine. There is an audience for this stuff.

Has anyone else seen this particular episode? What are your thoughts?

Drew

Drew,

I completely disagree with you. I am typing off the top of my head so correct me if I am wrong.

First off from what I recall, and I recorded the program on my DVR and copied it to a DVD so I can watch it again for confirmation, the destruction to the inside of the cabin did show broken items. The refrigerator was pulled from the wall and the toilet was smashed. I am sure there were other things broken, but again I am typing off the top of my head and this is all I can recall. As for things being strewn around, if a large intelligent primate broke into a cabin stocked with numerous foreign objects they naturally would investigate everything because they are curious by nature. This is because of there large brains. They most likely would not tear everything apart, but  rather open things up with there human like hands and opposable thumb, which by the way is probably how the animal opened the front door to gain access to the inside of the cabin.

There are many reports of Sasquatch entering campsites and opening back packs and digging through the contents, while doing this they tend to throw the contents where ever they may land, such is the case of the inside of the cabin in the Monster Quest program.

You mention “They haven't even identified what the material is on the screws (could be gypsum from drywall)” That is incorrect as Dr. Curt Nelson identified the inhibitor to be the galvanization on the screws. Dr. Nelson was able to pull some DNA out of the sample and he stated that it is primate and human, but not non human primate. In other words it seems to be from an as yet discovered species of primate. Also the hair analyzed by the bear expert did not match any known mammal from that area and was certainly not from a bear. The hair lacked the medulla found in bear, human and chimpanzees and the really interesting thing is this hair looked exactly like the hair samples Dr. Henner Fahrenbach has analyzed in the past. This was not mentioned on the program, but I know this from all the research I have done on the subject of Sasquatch, and if you think I am making this up purchase the book “Meet The Sasquatch” by Christopher L. Murphy. There are pictures of the purported Sasquatch hairs under a microscope in this book.
Another thing that was mentioned the hair seemed to be from a wild human as the ends of the hair were not sheared, but rather split as an un-groomed primate would have. This is also evident in the Fahrenbach hair samples.

Its funny how quick you are to put down people in a profession you know nothing about and speculate that everything is made up for better television. What I really cannot understand is why you even have an interest in a phenomenon you are so quick to discredit. You rule out all possibilities and seem to justify how everything is a hoax or a misinterpretation. I’m part of the Bigfoot Community to prove they exist, what are you in it for? If you’re not in it to prove they exist, they why be part of it at all?

Sincerely,

Mike Aragona
BFRO Investigator New Jersey

NJBigfoot Reply 3 December 31, 2007, 11:38:44 AM

"Dr. Nelson was able to pull some DNA out of the sample and he stated that it is primate and human, but not non human primate. In other words it seems to be from an as yet discovered species of primate."

"...not non-human" means it is human DNA, not an unknown primate. If that's what was stated in the documentary then I must disagree with your statement, "...it seems to be from an as yet discovered species of primate." Assuming you meant as yet undiscovered.

I didn't notice the fridge being pulled from the wall, seemed to be in a normal position to me. I agree, on further thought, that a primate with human-like hands would be able to manipulate objects and pick through things rather neatly, so I stand corrected. A bear would not have opened that door so neatly, but a primate maybe, or even probably, would have. A primate observing occupants of the cabin coming and going would have certainly noticed how the door worked and could have applied that knowlegde when it tried to enter the cabin itself.

Still, things about the way the cabin was ransacked seem odd. But then, I must admit I've never really witnessed a ransacked cabin before.

"...seemed to be from a wild human as the ends of the hair were not sheared, but rather split as an un-groomed primate would have. This is also evident in the Fahrenbach hair samples."

We're talking about a remote location. Any chance there could be a camper or something up there for a prolong period with split ends? Humans can develop split ends.

"Its funny how quick you are to put down people in a profession you know nothing about and speculate that everything is made up for better television. What I really cannot understand is why you even have an interest in a phenomenon you are so quick to discredit. You rule out all possibilities and seem to justify how everything is a hoax or a misinterpretation. I’m part of the Bigfoot Community to prove they exist, what are you in it for? If you’re not in it to prove they exist, they why be part of it at all?"

I don't appreciate the ad hominem attack. I've never commented on your motives, abilities or knowledge. I remain skeptical about Bigfoot, no matter how much I would like them to be real. And I would. I didn't put anyone down, merely pointed out some possibilities. Maybe my method was too direct, but if we want to talk about big hairy creatures roaming around in the woods, creatures which have not been confirmed to exist, then we must be direct and take all things into consideration. People can be fooled, people can fool themselves, people want to believe in the reality of things that they hold dear, for whatever reasons, but we must also remain open to the possibility that these things may not exist.

If solid evidence existed, evidence for which no other explanation could be given, then we'd really have something here. But all presented evidence of these creatures cannot be confirmed. Skookum cast, plaster casts of footprints... compelling, but not conclusive! There is room for doubt, so we must doubt. That's why I try to keep a healthy dose of skepticism alive here on the forums.

Sorry if this goes against your belief, but we are talking about the argument for a real, flesh and blood creature, not religious notions. Believe all you want, it doesn't make it so. I'm holding back my urge to use stronger words against you. I don't appreciate your comments. You've never met me, you do not know me or what I am about, so I would ask that you not attack me, my methods, abilities or motives in the future.

Thanks
Drew
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 06:49:21 PM by DV »