Register

News:

Forum has been successfully updated.

Intro and sighting report...

7420 13 normal post

northeast cryptid

May 17, 2009, 03:10:04 PM
Newbie Posts: 8
  Hello to everyone !!  I'm suprised to see there isn't more traffic on your site. I'm a part-time,freelance researcher(unfortunately,poking around in the woods looking for hairy Homonids won't pay my bills...) I've had great interest in cryptozoology since I was very young and I still find it as fascinating now. I'm located in Northeast PA,just below Scranton. I lived for a while in Vernon,NJ back in the mid-70's with my Mother and Stepfather. Somewhere around '77-'78 my Stepfather was snowmobile riding on a long gas line that ran past our home. He stopped his sled to take a drink of coffee from his thermos and as he described was just sort of sitting backwards on the sled seat,resting against the handle bars. The sled was not running. After a few minutes of sitting there he said a very large figure appeared out of the tree line onto the gas line,less than 100-150 yards away. It crossed the gas line looked back his way once and continued on. For some reason,this sighting really shook him up.  He arrived back home in a panic and we thought he was hurt or was having a heart attack. He was covered in sweat and really shaken. I have to clarify...he was an avid hunter and outdoorsmen,a very well known business owner in his area and probably one of the toughest men I've ever known....not one to be scared easily. Made an even bigger believer out of me. If you go on Google earth(satellite pics) the gas line is still visible where it intersects RTE. 515 and runs out past Highland lakes,etc.------this is a very vast tract of wooded area with a large amount of isolated woodlands. If anybody has any input,I'd love to hear it. Thanks for such a great site,looking forward to talking with people of similar interests.....Mike......(northeastcryptid@msn.com) ;)

Re: Intro and sighting report...

megapod Reply 1 May 18, 2009, 05:26:21 AM

Welcome. Interesting story. You may want to submit it so it can be added to the database.

NJBigfoot Reply 2 May 18, 2009, 06:12:40 AM

Welcome to the NJBF forum. I lived in Stockholm, NJ throughout the 80's, very familiar with Vernon area. If Bigfoot creatures are in Northern NJ that's certainly a likely place to find one. :) Definitely a lot of woodland up there, plus cross over a few country roads and one has access to larger areas of wilderness farther north and west.

northeast cryptid Reply 3 May 18, 2009, 09:13:44 AM

When I viewed the area for the first time in Sattelite pics...I was suprised how much land was undeveloped in the area. The fact that it was a first-hand account was quite convincing. My stepdad was definitely a no bull type of guy. I'll post it in the report section when I get time.

northeast cryptid Reply 4 May 19, 2009, 06:16:28 PM

I forgot to add...when My Stepdad came back home....I tried very hard to get him to take me back out where he saw the creature. I'll never forget what he said....."Are you nuts?.......Some things you just don't fool with."   Guess I'm nuts.....I'm out there looking every chance I get......

benny Reply 5 May 27, 2009, 10:38:11 PM

Welcome and great story

northeast cryptid Reply 6 May 28, 2009, 02:31:12 PM

Thanks Benny.....I'm glad I found a site that deals with a more specific area...the larger BF sites get a little overwhelming(a little too much info,if there can be such a thing).  Are there any expeditions planned thru this site for the '09 season ?? A northern Jersey search would be something that would be a possibility for me. If anybody could give me a heads-up I would appreciate it.

NJBigfoot Reply 7 June 01, 2009, 08:48:31 PM

I forgot to add...when My Stepdad came back home....I tried very hard to get him to take me back out where he saw the creature. I'll never forget what he said....."Are you nuts?.......Some things you just don't fool with."   Guess I'm nuts.....I'm out there looking every chance I get......

No more nuts than the rest of us. I must say, that even though I come of as a harsh skeptic (I am) not a week goes by that I don't gaze into the woods as I drive around and wonder "can they really be?"

DV

NJBigfoot Reply 8 June 01, 2009, 08:51:30 PM

Thanks Benny.....I'm glad I found a site that deals with a more specific area...the larger BF sites get a little overwhelming(a little too much info,if there can be such a thing).  Are there any expeditions planned thru this site for the '09 season ?? A northern Jersey search would be something that would be a possibility for me. If anybody could give me a heads-up I would appreciate it.

Well, I haven't considered a search, or expedition, because personally I think a bunch of guys roaming about in the woods would turn up nothing. Clever wildlife would just avoid us. But I have considered a get-together to talk about our shared interest and put a face to the name. Let me ponder on that. Anyone interested pleae let me know via this forum or private email or forum IM.

DV

northeast cryptid Reply 9 June 02, 2009, 06:54:13 AM

Count me in for a meeting DV...(if schedule allows). As far as being a skeptic...I approach everything that way. The only thing I consider are facts when making a decision on a cryptid. You have to weigh out the facts to decide if something is remotely plausible. The amount of (what I believe) evidence in the BF investigation is becoming rather substantial. Think about what we know to be true........A.--Fossil record(actual creature did exist in the not too remote past,Gigantopithicus. B.---Indian/Early reference in almost all cultures. C.----On-going sightings to present day by reliable/trust-worthy witnesses. D.---Physical evidence that would be very difficult to fabricate on such a widespread scale,primarily footprints with dermal ridges.  My belief is that within 3 years we will have proof...the current amount of energy,time and resources being put into research thanks to shows such as Monsterquest and the availability of inexpensive decent quality Trailcams should yeild a result quite quickly.

megapod Reply 10 June 02, 2009, 08:46:17 AM

Cryptid, what sort of proof do you think there will be? Short of a body we will be at the same point we are at right now. A trail cam photo will not be considered proof as photos can be hoaxed so there will always be some question of authenticity. You are assuming that if there is a nonhuman bipedal primate roaming North America that it is Gigantopithicus. The little physical evidence recovered for Gigantopithicus (molars and part of a jaw bone) indicate something significantly larger than  what is descirbed in most BF sightings. Perhaps a decendant of Gigantopiticus, there were likely a large number of primates over the course of history that left no fossil record. I agree that there have been some footprints discovered that would be very difficult to fake. I also find it compelling that many Native American people speak of a large hairy bipedal creatures as if it were just another forest animal like a bear. If we have to rely on Monsterquest for proof we are in trouble :-\

Rrocco Reply 11 June 03, 2009, 12:19:45 AM

I would also be interested in a get together if my schedule allows. :)

northeast cryptid Reply 12 June 03, 2009, 05:20:34 AM

Megapod....nailed it about MQuest...LOL....I'm not thinking they will EVER find anything. But what all these shows are doing is increasing interest/popularity to a level that people are paying a LOT of attention and once people entertain the possibilty of cryptids, they become alert. In some cases this might lead to seeing BF behind every tree.....but if,in fact, they do exist---the chance of increased evidence being turned up will be greater. I'm betting on a body,probably will be a hunter...somebody not out there looking for a BF. And I believe it will be some Giganto/Primate descendant. I know I seem less of a skeptic than I claim to be....but as I posted originally,a first-hand account by a very reliable witness really makes me entertain the possibily.

NJBigfoot Reply 13 June 03, 2009, 11:05:00 AM

I would also be interested in a get together if my schedule allows. :)

I'll keep it in mind guys. I have no plans for anything right now, but I think it would be nice at some point to get together, have a beer and a burger and talk about Bigfoot. Maybe we could organize a small camping outing or something. I'll keep the idea in my head and figure out how to arrange something.

DV